Ahhhh, Pinterest. What in the world did we do before this came into our world? It’s almost as if we has to rely solely on Betty Crocker or our own imagination, ooh. . .the HORROR!
Trying to find new recipes to make breakfast exciting is a bit difficult and honestly, a big pain in my ass. Which is why I am grateful for Pinterest and the brilliance of others.
Interestingly enough, when I told the kiddos that we were having Breakfast Banana Splits that morning, they actually thought we were having banana splits. I’m not sure what that says about me as a parent that my children really thought I would give them actual banana splits before school, however, I did pretend to be shocked.
This turned out really well and even better, the kids loved it!
Please be sure to read the recipe AND the notes before starting.
Inspiration hit here.
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- Bring to a boil, let thicken a bit and allow the fruit to soften, then put in blender/NutriBullet/Ninja and blend until smooth.
- 1 medium banana, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- Greek yogurt (plain or flavored)
- Fruit Sauce
- Fresh fruit, sliced
- Check out the original recipe. I changed mine up a bit.
- FOR THE FRUIT SAUCE: In the original recipe, this called for fresh fruit. I used frozen and it worked out perfectly. And, I'm quite sure that any combination of berries will work perfectly.
- I know that the sauce recipe calls for 1/3 cup of sugar. I used half of that in mine. But if you decrease the sugar, decrease the water as well.
- For the greek yogurt, just use what you like. I just spread it over the banana, then sprinkled with granola.